|Photo via Wikipedia Commons|
The original Harvard Square Station opened on March 23, 1912. The original headhouse on the street was a brick oval building (pictured above), which was later replaced with a simple cast-iron and copper shelter. The later shelter now stands close to its original location and houses Out-of-Town News, another Harvard Square landmark
The station was closed on January 31, 1981 to make way for the present day station.